ELEAGUE Major Day 1 Brief
Here is a quick recap for the first day of the ELEAGUE Major, considered to be Valve's premier tournament for CS:GO.
- In a very close matchup on Mirage, VEGA Squadron edges out Australian side Renegades, 16-14.
- The individual talents of German side mouseports were good enough to beat AVANGAR, 16-12, on Mirage. Chris "ChrisJ" de Jong recorded 30 kills on the map.
- FaZe, although considered to be one of the top teams in the world, were in for a scare as they barely win 16-14 on Overpass against a Liquid that used their coach as a stand-in.
- Mixed team Misfits had a surprisingly strong performance on Overpass as they beat CIS stalwarts F3, 16-4.
- Sprout, consisting many members of former PENTA, won convincingly against much-hyped Turkish side Space Soldiers on Cobblestone, 16-11.
- Aleksandr "s1mple" Kostliyev showed why he is considered to be the most talented CS:GO player in the world as he nearly single-handedly powers his way through fellow CIS side QB.Fire on the second half of Inferno, thus ensuring a dominant performance by Natus Vincere, 16-8. To note, Kostliyev had a 1.75 rating.
- Flash Gaming showed that they have prepared for the Major by putting in a strong Terrorist side on Inferno against G2, 6-9. However, G2 made less mistakes overall, so they surive the Asian scare by winning the map 16-11.
- Cloud9's individual skills showed through as they gave French side EnVyUs a master class on Cache, 16-11, with four of their players getting above-positive ratings in the matchup.
- F3 versus Liquid
- Flash versus QB.Fire
- nV versus Renegades
- SS versus Avengar
- FaZe versus Vega
- Sprout versus C9
- mouz versus Na'Vi
- Misfits versus G2
Earl Carlo "dreamslayer28" Guevarra is the head editor for Play on WASD. His work is forthcoming in CSGO2ASIA, Crossfire Stars and GAMURS.
Formerly the lead FPS writer for eSports by INQUIRER.
People say he loves fruit juice :)